How to do it:
- Communicate in traffic; use your horn, lights and signals.
What it does:
- Lets others know what you are about to do, establishes eye contact.
- Don’t gamble. Use your horn, lights, and signals.
The worst thing a driver can do is assume . . .
- Assume other drivers can see them,
- assume other drivers are not dangerous, or
- even assume that they will just get to their destination safely.
This final rule for the Smith System is “Make Sure They See You”. This rule prevents accidents by removing assumptions made behind the wheel.
As a driver, make sure that other drivers can see you and anticipate your move. If you feel you are coming into another driver’s blind spot, use the horn to get their attention.