We all live fast paced lives. This fast pace sometimes translates to drivers not getting the proper amount of rest. Are you well rested?
Here are some tips for staying alert when driving
- Watch Your Posture: Slouching or being too relaxed in the driver’s sat can promote fatigue. Try to maintain an attentive posture and avoid slouching or sitting low in your seat.
- Take Frequent Breaks: Every couple of hours try and get out of the cab and move about to get your blood flowing. Even if you only stop at a gas station, restaurant or rest stop . . . getting out of the vehicle and moving about helps fight fatigue.
If anti-fatigue measures fail and you start noticing the danger signs of fatigue, pull over in the first safe location and get some rest.
EXAMPLE WARNING SIGNS OF FATIGUE
- You can’t stop yawning
- Your eyelids droop or blink frequently
- You have trouble keeping your eyes open and focused
- Your mind wanders or you have disconnected thoughts
- You can’t remember driving the last few miles
- You weave between the lanes, tailgate or miss traffic signals
- You hit rumble strips or grooves in the road